Israel started building illegal settlements, a.k.a. "colonies," soon after militarily occupying the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and Gaza in June of 1967. Under every successive Israeli government, despite international condemnation, these illegal colonies and their associated infrastructure have expanded. Below are resources to help interested Canadians understand the devastating effects of Israeli colonies, and how the international community views them.
Informational Documents and Links
Official Canadian Policy on Israeli Settlements:
- "Israeli settlements in the occupied territories are a violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention. The settlements also constitute a serious obstacle to achieving a comprehensive, just and lasting peace." (Global Affairs Canada, Canadian Policy on Key Issues in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict.)
- "Canada does not recognize permanent Israeli control over territories occupied in 1967 (the Golan Heights, the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip). The Fourth Geneva Convention applies in the occupied territories and establishes Israel's obligations as an occupying power, in particular with respect to the humane treatment of the inhabitants of the occupied territories." (Global Affairs Canada, Canadian Policy on Key Issues in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict.)
UN Resolutions about Israel's settlements:
- "Israel’s Settlements Have No Legal Validity, Constitute Flagrant Violation of International Law, Security Council Reaffirms," Text of UN Security Council Resolution 2334, passed unanimously, with one abstention, December, 2016
- UN Security Council 446 (1979) "'determines' that Israeli settlements are a 'serious obstruction' to peace and calls on Israel to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention," passes unanimously, with 3 abstentions."
- UN Security Council 465 (1980), "'deplores' Israel's settlements and asks all member states not to assist Israel's settlements program," passes unanimously, with no abstentions
- Illegal Israeli Colonies in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (in .pdf format)
- Impasse in Israeli-Palestinian Negotiations (in .pdf format)
- Mainstream Canadian Opposition to Israeli "Settlements" (in .pdf format)
Campaign Documents & Resources
- Paper version of petition:
- Click here for a paper version of the petition that can be signed and sent for data entry (Completed forms should be sent to CJPME, 10090 Saint-Laurent, Montreal, QC H3L 2N7. Please ensure all fields are filled by signatories.)
- Click here for an 8.5" x 11" (letter-sized) colour poster for the "Peace in Palestine" campaign
- Click here for an 8.5" x 11" (letter-sized) black-white poster for the "Peace in Palestine" campaign
- Click here for an 11" x 17" (tabloid-sized) colour poster for the "Peace in Palestine" campaign
- Click here for an 11" x 17" (tabloid-sized) black-white poster for the "Peace in Palestine" campaign
- Mini handouts (black & white):
- Campaign Image:
- Click here for an image file (470px x 392px) for the campaign, suitable for Facebook or a Website.
- Official flyer (printable):
- (Coming soon) A bilingual version of the "Peace in Palestine" campaign flyer.
- (Coming soon) A black/white version of the "Peace in Palestine" campaign flyer - appropriate for photocopiers.